One-of-a-kind vintage rug, handwoven and handknotted in Taspinar, Turkey
Dimensions: 6'3" x 11'0" (192 cm x 337 cm)
Hildtraud has been professionally cleaned; age-related wear and natural inconsistencies are inherent in these unique, handcrafted vintage rugs.
Vintage, handwoven rugs from Turkey and Morocco, selected for their color and design and preserved as-is.
Typically between 20-100 years old
- One-of-a-kind vintage rug — only one in stock!
- 100% wool
- Dimensions: 6'3" x 11'0" (192 cm x 337 cm)
- Low pile: approximately 0.2" (0.5 cm)
- Color palette: eggplant, navy, cream, seafoam green
- A central medallion anchors the motif to a center focal point from which the design blooms out and is balanced by complementary design elements
- A variation of motifs—simple, tribal, bold, and colorful—all hailing from the Anatolian region (modern-day Turkey)
- A hexagonal shape (also known as a “lozenge”) represents the female form and fertility
- A geometric, step-like pattern which expresses the primitive, artisanal qualities of weaving from nomadic cultures
- The central design is bookended by banner skirt panels
Taspinar, in south central Anatolia, is known for high-quality wool rugs with Anatolian motifs that feature elongated hexagonal medallions with stepped edges and geometric floral details.Material Details
Wool is the most widely used fiber in Turkish rug design. Not only is it plentiful in supply, it’s durable, long-lasting, and incredibly soft—so it’s super comfy to walk and relax on.
- We recommend that you regularly vacuum your rug to remove dirt and grime. Depending on how heavily your rug is used, just once or twice a month is adequate. Too much vacuuming can wear down the knots and fibers more quickly. If you have a suction attachment on your vacuum cleaner, use that instead of a rotary vacuum.
- Every few months, you’ll also want to flip your rug over and vacuum the back to get the grit out of the foundation of the rug. It also helps to rotate your rug once a year to ensure even wear over time.
- Every 3-5 years, we recommend getting your rug professionally hand-washed. Please do not take it to get steam or dry cleaned—this will almost certainly damage the rug! Hand-washing requires the use of a pH-balanced shampoo, worked into the rug by hand with a soft-bristled brush, before being rinsed thoroughly. This process should be repeated a few times.
- In case of spills:
- If the spill is organic and non-oily (e.g., wine), use a paper towel or cloth to blot the liquid. Add some clean water sparingly to the spot to dilute the stain (or wet a paper towel or cloth) and blot. Repeat this process until the stain is removed.
- If the stain is persistent, resist the urge to scrub. Scrubbing can damage the wool fibers and more easily allow the stain to penetrate. You may try using a mild detergent, such as very diluted dishwashing soap, following the same blot-and-rinse procedure.
- If the spill is a denser, more oily liquid, try first to scoop what you can from the surface using a spoon or perhaps some heavier paper, and then do the blot-and-rinse. If the spill is significant, non-organic and/or composed of chemical substances, or the above methods don’t work, we suggest getting the rug professionally hand-washed as soon as possible.
- For rugs with deeply saturated color palettes, be sure to spot-clean them in an area that can be hosed down immediately after, as some color bleeding may occur.
Hildtraud Vintage Turkish Rug
Ready to Ship