One-of-a-kind patchwork rug, expertly pieced and sewn together in Usak, Turkey using salvaged vintage rug fragments
Dimensions: 7'3" x 10'3" (223 cm x 313 cm)
Natural inconsistencies are inherent in these unique, handcrafted rugs.
Sturdy pile rugs meticulously woven by hand, with individually hand-tied knots, so no two are exactly alike
Typically between 20-100 years old
- Beige, Cream
- One-of-a-kind patchwork rug — only one in stock!
- 100% wool on cotton backing
- Dimensions: 7'3" x 10'3" (223 cm x 313 cm)
- Low pile: approximately 0.2" (0.5 cm)
- Color palette: warm vanilla beige
- Gently faded for a neutral tea-washed palette
- A crosshatched fade from gentle wear over time produces a soft, distressed look, muting the original color palette
- Features a one-of-kind and subtly distressed look from gentle wear over time
- Directional design or color gradients with purposeful asymmetry and movement
Usak, located just west of central Anatolia, is known for carpets marking the rise of what scholars call the Turkish carpet design revolution. This refers to the transition from angular, geometric designs to the more organic, curvilinear designs found in Persian carpets—resembling Ottoman art and architecture.Material Details
This patchwork rug is made up of many smaller hand-knotted rugs, originally woven with wool weft and warp. Rather than throw out damaged rugs, craftspeople salvaged undamaged pieces from each one, sewing them together onto a cotton backing to make a new rug of heritage quality.
- We recommend that you regularly vacuum your rug to remove dirt and grime. Depending on how heavily your rug is used, just once or twice a month is adequate. Too much vacuuming can wear down the knots and fibers more quickly. If you have a suction attachment on your vacuum cleaner, use that instead of a rotary vacuum.
- Every few months, you’ll also want to flip your rug over and vacuum the back to get the grit out of the foundation of the rug. It also helps to rotate your rug once a year to ensure even wear over time.
- Every 3-5 years, we recommend getting your rug professionally hand-washed. Please do not take it to get steam or dry cleaned—this will almost certainly damage the rug! Hand-washing requires the use of a pH-balanced shampoo, worked into the rug by hand with a soft-bristled brush, before being rinsed thoroughly. This process should be repeated a few times.
- In case of spills:
- If the spill is organic and non-oily (e.g., wine), use a paper towel or cloth to blot the liquid. Add some clean water sparingly to the spot to dilute the stain (or wet a paper towel or cloth) and blot. Repeat this process until the stain is removed.
- If the stain is persistent, resist the urge to scrub. Scrubbing can damage the wool fibers and more easily allow the stain to penetrate. You may try using a mild detergent, such as very diluted dishwashing soap, following the same blot-and-rinse procedure.
- If the spill is a denser, more oily liquid, try first to scoop what you can from the surface using a spoon or perhaps some heavier paper, and then do the blot-and-rinse. If the spill is significant, non-organic and/or composed of chemical substances, or the above methods don’t work, we suggest getting the rug professionally hand-washed as soon as possible.
- For rugs with deeply saturated color palettes, be sure to spot-clean them in an area that can be hosed down immediately after, as some color bleeding may occur.
Bastiaan Turkish Rug
Estimated ship date in 4 weeks