One-of-a-kind vintage rug, flatwoven in Mut, Turkey
Dimensions: 6'0" x 8'6" (183 cm x 260 cm)
Kristofer has been professionally cleaned; age-related wear and natural inconsistencies are inherent in these unique, handcrafted vintage rugs.
Flatwoven, pileless rugs that often have distinctive geometric patterns and contrasting bright colors.
Typically between 20-100 years old
- One-of-a-kind vintage rug — only one in stock!
- Goat hair with wool embroidery
- Dimensions: 6'0" x 8'6" (183 cm x 260 cm)
- Color palette: espresso brown, slate gray, sage gray, eggplant, cream
- Artisanal and tribal, geometric designs feature angular edges and simple shapes—like diamonds, squares, lattices, and stylized animals
- Diagonal lines weave and intersect, forming a grid-like pattern
- A pattern of repeating hooks mirrors a set of breaking waves and represents protection against ill will and disaster
Mut is a seaside town in southern Turkey known for its hardy and tribal goat hair based flatweave kilims embroidered in intricate geometric patterns.Material Details
Goat hair fibers are longer and firmer than those of sheep’s wool. Typically in kilims, goat hair is woven into a durable flatweave rug, then intricate designs are carefully hand-embroidered using wool yarn.
- We recommend that you regularly vacuum your rug to remove dirt and grime. Depending on how heavily your rug is used, just once or twice a month is adequate. Too much vacuuming can wear down the knots and fibers more quickly. If you have a suction attachment on your vacuum cleaner, use that instead of a rotary vacuum.
- Every few months, you’ll also want to flip your rug over and vacuum the back to get the grit out of the foundation of the rug. It also helps to rotate your rug once a year to ensure even wear over time.
- Every 3-5 years, we recommend getting your rug professionally hand-washed. Please do not take it to get steam or dry cleaned—this will almost certainly damage the rug! Hand-washing requires the use of a pH-balanced shampoo, worked into the rug by hand with a soft-bristled brush, before being rinsed thoroughly. This process should be repeated a few times.
- In case of spills:
- Blot the spill until it is dry, but do not add liquid. Consult an Oriental rug specialist immediately for cleaning. Adding liquid can make it harder to remove stains, and can even extend them further. This is because moisture travels along the fiber, so in rugs with horizontal fibers (like flatweaves), it can get trapped.
Kristofer Vintage Kilim Rug
Ready to Ship