One-of-a-kind vintage rug, flatwoven in Siirt, Turkey
Dimensions: 4'7" x 6'8" (140 cm x 205 cm)
Lilya has been professionally cleaned; age-related wear and natural inconsistencies are inherent in these unique, handcrafted vintage rugs.
Flatwoven, pileless rugs that often have distinctive geometric patterns and contrasting bright colors.
Typically between 20-100 years old
- One-of-a-kind vintage rug — only one in stock!
- 100% brushed goat hair
- Dimensions: 4'7" x 6'8" (140 cm x 205 cm)
- Color palette: camel, warm vanilla beige, inky black
- A variation of motifs—simple, tribal, bold, and colorful—all hailing from the Anatolian region (modern-day Turkey)
- A central medallion anchors the motif to a center focal point from which the design blooms out and is balanced by complementary design elements
- A geometric, step-like pattern which expresses the primitive, artisanal qualities of weaving from nomadic cultures
- Stripes—a simple and timeless classic
Siirt, in southeastern Turkey, is well known for lightweight, flatwoven kilims made from goat hair in shades of black, white, gray, and tan. These one-of-a-kind kilims feature a lustrous pile achieved by brushing the front-facing surface of the rug to tease up longer fibers.Material Details
Goat hair fibers are longer and firmer than those of sheep’s wool. In a Siirt kilim, the goat hair is first flatwoven then brushed repeatedly to tease out a textured pile, imitating the furry hide of an animal pelt.
- We recommend that you regularly vacuum your rug to remove dirt and grime. Depending on how heavily your rug is used, just once or twice a month is adequate. Too much vacuuming can wear down the knots and fibers more quickly. If you have a suction attachment on your vacuum cleaner, use that instead of a rotary vacuum.
- Every few months, you’ll also want to flip your rug over and vacuum the back to get the grit out of the foundation of the rug. It also helps to rotate your rug once a year to ensure even wear over time.
- Every 3-5 years, we recommend getting your rug professionally hand-washed. Please do not take it to get steam or dry cleaned—this will almost certainly damage the rug! Hand-washing requires the use of a pH-balanced shampoo, worked into the rug by hand with a soft-bristled brush, before being rinsed thoroughly. This process should be repeated a few times.
- In case of spills:
- Blot the spill until it is dry, but do not add liquid. Consult an Oriental rug specialist immediately for cleaning. Adding liquid can make it harder to remove stains, and can even extend them further. This is because moisture travels along the fiber, so in rugs with horizontal fibers (like flatweaves), it can get trapped.
Lilya Vintage Kilim Rug
Ready to Ship