One-of-a-kind vintage rug, flatwoven in Anatolia, Turkey
Dimensions: 1'9" x 2'6" (54 cm x 77 cm)
Chafic has been professionally cleaned; age-related wear and natural inconsistencies are inherent in these unique, handcrafted vintage rugs.
Flatwoven, pileless rugs that often have distinctive geometric patterns and contrasting bright colors.
Typically between 20-100 years old
- One-of-a-kind vintage rug — only one in stock!
- 100% wool pile on goat hair foundation
- Dimensions: 1'9" x 2'6" (54 cm x 77 cm)
- Color palette: rust red, mustard yellow, bone beige
- A series of repeating medallions create a beautifully complex field or pattern
- An absolute classic, diamond-based designs create a beautiful and dynamic field of geometric shapes
- Typically associated with the Yoruk nomads of Anatolia, these latch-hook ornaments are believed to protect against sources of danger—including ill will, wild animals, and natural disasters
- Artisanal and tribal, geometric designs feature angular edges and primitive shapes—like diamonds, squares, lattices, and stylized animals
Anatolia makes up the majority of modern-day Turkey. Rugs from this region are defined by their tribal and geometric designs—with plenty of symbols reflecting life from traditional households.Material Details
Wool is the most widely used fiber in Turkish rug design. Not only is it plentiful in supply, it’s durable, long-lasting, and incredibly plush—so it’s super comfy to walk and relax on. This wool pile is woven onto a foundation built from the hardy hair fibers of mountain-dwelling goats—a strong material that's sole purpose is to hold up through years of rugged wear.
- We recommend that you regularly vacuum your rug to remove dirt and grime. Depending on how heavily your rug is used, just once or twice a month is adequate. Too much vacuuming can wear down the knots and fibers more quickly. If you have a suction attachment on your vacuum cleaner, use that instead of a rotary vacuum.
- Every few months, you’ll also want to flip your rug over and vacuum the back to get the grit out of the foundation of the rug. It also helps to rotate your rug once a year to ensure even wear over time.
- Every 3-5 years, we recommend getting your rug professionally hand-washed. Please do not take it to get steam or dry cleaned—this will almost certainly damage the rug! Hand-washing requires the use of a pH-balanced shampoo, worked into the rug by hand with a soft-bristled brush, before being rinsed thoroughly. This process should be repeated a few times.
- In case of spills:
- Blot the spill until it is dry, but do not add liquid. Consult an Oriental rug specialist immediately for cleaning. Adding liquid can make it harder to remove stains, and can even extend them further. This is because moisture travels along the fiber, so in rugs with horizontal fibers (like flatweaves), it can get trapped.
Chafic Vintage Tribal Kilim Rug
Ready to Ship